Since the release of Dynamics CRM 2011 (5.0) Online – I’d been asked by a number of our Dynamics CRM 4.0 Online customers how they can find out if their MS Dynamics CRM 4.0 customizations work in MS Dynamics CRM 2011 so they can be ready for their scheduled upgrade.
This week, I am working with a High Tech Semiconductor Failure Analysis (FA) services company to prepare for their MS Dynamics CRM 2011 (5.0) Online Upgrade. One of the key areas is to ensure their current MS CRM 4.0 customizations will work as expected in MS CRM 2011 (5.0).
Here are the steps on how to migrate MS Dynamics CRM Online 4.0 Customization to MS CRM 2011 (5.0) Online:
- Export All Customizations from MS CRM 4.0 Online – Settings >> Customizations >> Export Customizations >> More Actions >> Export All Customizations
Note: There is no support for exporting reports in MS CRM 4.0 Online. Any custom reports via Reports Wizard, Existing File, or Web Link will need to be manually migrated.
Setup a MS Dynamics CRM 4.0 On Premise Server 64 bit Environment – Import the MSCRM 4.0 Online Customizations (from the previous step) to this environment and perform a Publish All.
– Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Server: 90-Day Trial Versions download and trial keys
– Ensure that this environment is a new installation that doesn’t contain any customizations, apply the latest Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup. Reference the MS Dynamics CRM 4.0 Implementation Guide for installation steps
– Ensure that it is a 64 bit server setup and that the hardware and software requirements are compatible with CRM 2011 since we will be upgrade this MSCRM 4.0 to 2011
– Since we are importing a customization file from CRM Online to On-Premise – review KB article to avoid this error:
– Ensure that the customizations have been imported successfully – perform “Publish All Customizations” afterwards
Note: The “Warning: systemuser: The systemuser entity was imported, but customized forms for the entity were not imported. Systemuser entity forms from Microsoft Dynamics CRM Live cannot be imported into on-premises or hosted versions of Microsoft Dynamics CRM” is normal
- Perform the MS Dynamics CRM 2011 (5.0) Server Upgrade – this will upgrade all the customizations that were imported from Dynamics CRM Online 4.0 above
– Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Server Download and Trial Product Keys
– Reference the MS Dynamics CRM 5.0 Implementation Guide for upgrade steps
– Ensure the 2011 Upgrade has been successfully completed
- Create a MS CRM 2011 Solution – add all the upgraded customizations into it so we can export it to our final target test environment: MS CRM 2011 Online
– Export the Solution as “Unmanaged”
- Setup a MS Dynamics CRM 2011 Online Environment – Import the MS CRM 2011 Solution (from the previous step) to this environment and perform a Publish All
– Sign up for a FREE 30-Day MSCRM 2011 Online Trial, Setup & Training
-The Warning regarding importing a different version is normal
– Ensure that the import of the Solution completed successfully – perform “Publish All Customizations” afterwards
This completes the test migration process of MS CRM Online 4.0 customization to MS CRM 2011 Online. Next step is to setup time with your CRM Users to validate their processes on the test environment and become familiar with the new MS CRM 2011 look.
If you would like to save time and would like our help to setup the above steps for your organization – contact me.
Contact me if you need help with your Microsoft CRM. Free Estimate.
FREE Microsoft CRM Online 30 Day Trial access with our Professional Assistance!
Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP since 2006