- "They clutter up my Contact List"
- "I will probably not see them ever again so why bother"
- "Too much work to enter them and I don’t have a good way to MANAGE them – just not worth it"
Side note: Manual entry of business cards is a poor use of your college intern’s time/brain cells. They can help you find/prepare your next "Value added keep in touch email filled with relevant Technology/Business related articles"…
- Mark the back of the business cards with a "*" and some notes for the ones that I would like to follow-up immediately after the event, the rest I will "keep in touch"
- Scan ALL of the business cards I’d received via CardScan Microsoft CRM as CRM Leads
- With CardScan Microsoft CRM, I can default the Lead Topic value to be "Convergence 2007 San Diego, California, March 11-14" and Lead Source value to "Trade Show" for all the scanned cards, for the ones that are "marked", I set the "Follow-up" flag to "True".
- I’d setup a Microsoft CRM Workflow Rule that will "Auto-Create" a follow-up phone call and auto assign it to me when a CRM Lead is created with "Follow-up" value is "True"
- All these contacts are now in my CRM Lead Management system and will be handled via our "Nurture" process
This is a pretty simple process, takes very little time, and it works very well for me.
Side note: Why "Nurture" them? Because they just may help you connect with or influence your next opportunity! But you have to "keep in touch and add value!"
- It just works – scan the business card and it matches/translates into the right fields (Name, Title, Phone, Email, etc.), simply amazing
- Stores an electronic picture of the actual business card in case I need to manually correct any miss-match/translation – nothing is perfect
- With one click of the "Transfer" button, the scanned business card records get imported into Microsoft CRM as Leads or Contacts (my choice)
- Allows me to set the default values for various Microsoft CRM fields such as Lead Topic, Lead Source, custom field: Follow-up flag, etc.
- Examines each record for duplicate in Microsoft CRM!
- Super, super easy to setup and use plus very affordable even for a small business owner!
- Very compact, about the size of two mobile phones, so I can take it wherever I go and scan my business cards AT the event location